Monday, March 2, 2009

Continuous Build System head-bashing

Not really sure why I agreed to help setup our continuous build system, but here I am. Had initially started to look at Cruisecontrol, and got it to do 80% of what we needed. However, due to its java-centric nature, getting the last 20% was proving to be a bear. And then Tomcat started to be flaky and that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Took a look at Buildbot today. It seems like a much better option for us, as it is Python based and has very few dependencies. Unfortunately, the documentation isn't very good, and although I have the skeleton of a system built, I still haven't figured out how to do a basic SVN checkout and build with it.

Reminds me of a conversation I recently had with some GIS professionals who had tried to do something with open source applications. Every single one of them complained about how many of the training resources they had looked at contained "8 different ways to do the same thing". They said they would have preferred being shown one, solid way of doing something, and then building upon that example.

Seems like a good idea to me.

No comments: